Birkenstocks are some of the most comfortable sandals in the world, made of cork, rubber and leather. However, if you walk around with them for a while, you may leave footprints on the inner sole of the shoes. Then most likely your Birkenstocks will stink. So if you are wondering how to get rid of the smell from them, you are in the right place. In this article, you will learn how to care for your Birks quickly and effectively.
Table of Contents
What to do if Birkenstocks smell like sweat
The main problem with Birks is that your feet are so embedded in the sandals that they leave an imprint. As a result, your feet become sweaty and the sandals give off a bad odor. Therefore, it is important that you clean your Birkenstocks regularly. There are many ways to get rid of the odor specifically. Read on to find out what steps you can take if your Birkenstocks stink.
Clean Birkenstocks with baking soda
Baking soda is the remedy of choice for most household cleaning purposes. It works like magic on stinky Birks, just like it does on many other items.
- First, take a damp cloth to clean dirt and debris from your sandals.
- In a bowl, mix two to three tablespoons of baking soda with water to make a thick paste. Apply it evenly to the footbed of your Birks using a spatula. Make sure the paste completely covers all the stains.
- Use an old toothbrush to gently scrub the Birkenstock footbed and remove stains and dirt with the baking soda mixture. When you’re done, wipe off the excess water with a cloth and let the Birks dry outside.
Tip. Be careful not to keep them in high heat – keep them near windows or in a place where there is good air circulation to allow them to dry. After a few hours, you should have a pair of fresh-smelling, stain-free Birks. If your sandals have very bad stains, it’s best to leave the baking soda mixture on overnight. Scrub them off the next morning. The mixture needs to dry for at least 24 hours before you can use it again.
Birkenstocks stink – Gentle sunlight fights bad odor.
If you’re worried about how to clean foul-smelling Birks, nine times out of ten it’s probably something that can be easily remedied by simply exposing them to sunlight. If you think your Birkenstocks are smelly, simply wipe them down with a clean cloth or tissue. Then let them dry in the sun, but don’t expose your Birkenstocks to heat or blazing sun. It is best to dry your shoes near the window or in a place that offers shade, gentle sunlight and good ventilation. This alone will generally eliminate the bad odor.
Use white vinegar or rubbing alcohol.
Other simple and popular products you can use to keep bad odor at bay are white vinegar or rubbing alcohol. You can use one of the two products at a time, rather than mixing the two together.
In the case of vinegar, fill a small bowl with equal parts of water and vinegar. Dampen a clean cloth or paper towels in this solution. This will make them a little damp and not completely wet and dripping. Then place these paper towels or cloth on the footbed of the sandals. Let them sit overnight and remove the cloths the next morning. Carefully wipe off the solution and let the shoes dry.
For rubbing alcohol, you can repeat all of the above steps, except that you mix the white vinegar with water, while for rubbing alcohol, you do not need to dilute it with water. You can pour the alcohol directly into a bowl and wet the paper towels with the solution.
Use Birks cleaner & refresher.
Birkenstocks themselves offer their own product to keep your shoes fresh and clean. According to the instructions on the care page, you can use Birks cleaner and refresher to get rid of bad odor. All you have to do is spray the cleaner all over the footbed, then remove the excess moisture and let the shoe dry.
How can you style your Birks? You can find out here !
General tips for caring for your Birks
- Wipe down your Birks with a clean towel every other day or at similar intervals and let them dry outside. Establish a cleaning routine and stick to it.
- Sprinkle some baking soda occasionally and let them sit overnight to keep your sandals odor-free.
- To ensure proper care, leave the cork seal intact. If you think it is damaged or coming off at the seams, use Birkenstock cork sealer to protect the shoe from dirt and damage and prolong its life.
These are some effective tips if your Birkenstocks stink. Try them right now and get your favorite sandals back from the land of bad smell!
How to take care of your Birks from the footbed to the toes? You can find that here !