The nail trends this year are very different and all beautiful in themselves. From delicate mermaid nail designs to the simple spider gel nails – it’s all there. Currently, another trend is taking over social media – meaning baby boomer nails. This is a new and very fresh interpretation of the traditional French nails manicure. Thanks to the gentle color gradient from pink to white, the baby boomer nails look very natural. Depending on the skin type, of course, the color shades can be adjusted so that they really fit every woman. Many beautiful nail design ideas and a simple DIY tutorial can be found right in our article. Let yourself be inspired!
Baby boomer nails – where does the name come from?
Where the name of the nail trend comes from , no one seems to know exactly. But the nail artist Bethel Coleman has shared a very interesting and at the same time logical theory in her blog. In the period between 1946 and 1964, the number of babies born per year averaged about 4 million. During this period, the cool shades of pink, light reds and white were most in demand on women’s nails. Therefore, it is believed that the nails were named after the baby boomer generation.
Baby boomer nails do it yourself – step by step instructions
You don’t want to go to the nail studio for this delicate look or simply don’t have the time? Even if the even course requires a real dexterity, you can still get to work yourself with a special gel nail set. We will tell you step by step how you can best and most easily achieve the beautiful design.
To make the baby boomer nails yourself, you need:
- Priming gel or bonding agent
- A pink modeling gel
- White gel for the tips
- Gloss gel for sealing
- Fine gel brush
- Rosewood sticks
- UV light curing unit
And this is how baby boomer nails are done at home
- Prepare your fingernails. The first thing you should do is prepare your nails completely as usual. Push back the cuticles and remove cuticle flakes from the nail plates either with the buffer or with a fine-grained nail file. It is best to dust the matted nail plates with a large brush. If you additionally want to extend the shelf life of the gel, you can now also degrease your nails with a primer.
- Harden the nails with a primer. In the second step, apply the priming gel (also adhesion promoter) to your matted nails. Then let the gel dry under a UV lamp for about 90 seconds.
A little tip from us: try to apply the gel in as thin a layer as possible and work it into your nails with a brush – this way it will adhere even better.
- Apply French gel to the tips of your nails. Once the base gel has dried, apply the white French gel to the tips of your nails. For a soft ombré look, let the gel fade out towards the nail board. Of course, you can also blend the gel with a very fine brush without pressure and very carefully. When you are finished and satisfied with the gradient, let the white gel dry for about 90 seconds under the UV lamp.
- You apply the pink gel to the entire nails. When the white and beautifully gradient tips are ready, you can apply the pink build-up gel to your entire nails. But now you should not be surprised – You should also completely cover the white tips with the pink gel completely. After modeling, you will come back to the surface. Once you have completely applied the gel, let your nails dry again for 90 seconds under the UV lamp.
- Shape and sculpt your gel nails. Use a file to shape your gel nails into the shape you want. Since baby boomer nails are all about naturalness and tenderness, they also tend to be kept short, in a straight or oval shape. For example, the almond shape, which is totally on trend this summer, looks particularly beautiful. So that the wonderful result looks really natural and the white fingertips can be seen again, you should grind the hard build-up gel very thinly with the buffer. Once you are done with it, use a brush to remove the fine dust from the nails.
- Seal baby boomer nails with a gloss gel. The final step is to really make your gorgeous nails pop and shine with the help of a transparent gel. It seals the nails and provides a smooth and even result. And your trend look is ready!
Baby boomer nails look particularly feminine
The baby boomer nails could be considered a beautiful cross between an ombré look and the French manicure. Especially delicate and elegant, create the illusion of well-manicured natural nails when done well. For a stylish look, the subtle pink can be adjusted to suit your skin type.
Classic baby boomer nails for every fashion-conscious woman
At many nail designs, you eventually get tired of. Therefore, it is very important to change the old patterns so that they again fit into today’s time and trend and one dares to approach again. Short, simple baby boomer nails in the oval nail shape look simply beautiful and timeless. The manicure would look good on any woman and can be worn for any occasion. However, it is especially suitable for the office.
A little glitter as an accent on your nails
Would you like your nails to sparkle a bit every now and then? Then this nail design might be the right one for you! You can cover the elegant and feminine baby boomer nails with some silver glitter nail polish. The two designs complement each other perfectly and are a great option for the warm summer months! This look would be perfect for special occasions and evening events as well.
Another benefit of this nail trend is that the subtle ombré look will make your fingernails look visually longer.
Extravagant baby boomer nails
If you want to spice up the plain manicure a bit, you can opt for an accent nail. This one can be decorated depending on your mood. Decorate it with eye-catching rhinestones and achieve a unique yet wonderful style break. The sparkling gems will give your hands a breathtaking shine. This nail design is perfect for every fashion-conscious woman who likes to draw all eyes to herself once in a while.
Long baby boomer nails with nail foil
Here we show you another glamorous nail design. Nail foil is also one of the most popular nail trends this year and gives your nails the variety they need. In this way, you now have two trends that fit perfectly together in one.
Even though the simple and natural design is more suitable for short nails, it also looks especially good on longer stiletto nails! The bold nail shape gives your hands an edgier look and makes for a really cool style break. Decorate a few nails with rhinestones for a sure WOW effect. This manicure is extraordinary and perfect for the all bold women.
A beautiful and stylish decoration, such as a flower, will make your baby boomer nails shine and give them a touch of freshness.