If you notice that your scalp tends to have more dandruff in winter, it is time to take countermeasures. On the one hand, you can use the traditional and mostly effective hair cosmetics against it. However, there are also efficient methods and natural products that soothe dry and itchy skin and eliminate dandruff during the cold season. Accordingly, you can get rid of the annoying white flakes in your hair during the winter season in a natural way.
Table of contents
- Tips and preventives against dandruff in winter
- Use of natural products and lukewarm water
- Haarkur mit Coconut oil und Zitrone oder Limettensaft
- Hair mask with aloe vera and neem oil against dandruff in winter.
- Combine apple cider vinegar and fenugreek to make hair mask.
- Tea tree oil and almond oil against flaky scalp.
- Try the combination of green tea and orange juice for dandruff in winter
- More hair care tips for cold winter days
Tips and preventives against dandruff in winter
To prevent the flaky situation from getting out of control during extreme weather conditions, some anti-dandruff products are recommended in the first place. Using anti-dandruff shampoos is a logical solution. However, such cosmetics usually contain selenium sulfides, coal tar, zinc pyrithione or ketoconazole. These are all effective ingredients, but at the same time they could have an aggressive effect on the scalp. Therefore, such products should be used for at least four weeks, but no more than twice a week to achieve visible results. Accordingly, the excessive use can irritate the skin and lead to the recurrence of dandruff. In addition, dry scalp with dandruff can become very itchy. Scratching will only make this worse. The dandruff will fall on your shoulders and contaminate your hair. Therefore, pressing your fingers on your scalp is more recommended to control the itching.
Use of natural products and lukewarm water
In the fight against dandruff in winter, you can trust natural ingredients from your kitchen and household. Thus, you will get a healthy and clean scalp without having to use chemicals. Plus, these miracle ingredients get the job done without digging a hole in your pocket. Isn’t that great? Apart from that, you need to follow some hair care tips to ensure that the annoying problem doesn’t haunt you again. Take a look at these effective home remedies to fight flaky scalp naturally and prevent complications due to low temperatures.
Also avoid using hot water. The cold outside may encourage you to use hot water to wash your hair. However, this could make your hair cracked and dry out your scalp. By doing so, you are enabling an ideal environment for dandruff to occur in the winter. Instead, you can simply use lukewarm shower water to wash your hair. Moreover, any hair styling product, such as hairspray, dry shampoo or mousse, may contain alcohol, which dries out the scalp and aggravates dandruff. Therefore, avoid cosmetics that contain alcohol.
Haarkur mit Coconut oil und Zitrone oder Limettensaft
Die feuchtigkeitsspendenden Eigenschaften von Coconut oil und der saure pH-Wert von Limettensaft sind ideale Helfer im Kampf gegen Winterschuppen. Der Limetten- oder Zitronensaft reinigt dementsprechend die Kopfhaut und enthält Zitronensäure, die ihren pH-Wert reguliert. Dies verhindert, dass Pilze darin wachsen und gedeihen. Coconut oil spendet außerdem der Kopfhaut und dem Haar Feuchtigkeit und hält diese gesund und glänzend.
- Coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon lime juice/lemon juice.
- 6 teaspoons of water
- Cotton ball
- Massieren Sie das Coconut oil mit kreisenden Bewegungen auf die Kopfhaut.
- First, dilute the lime juice with the water.
- Use the cotton ball to apply the mixture to your scalp.
- Then leave the treatment on for 20 minutes.
- Finally, wash your hair.
Hinweis: Limettensaft kann Reizungen verursachen, wenn Sie diesen nicht verdünnen. Wenn auch nach der Verdünnung Juckreiz auftritt, waschen Sie es sofort ab und tragen Sie eine weitere Schicht Coconut oil auf.
Hair mask with aloe vera and neem oil against dandruff in winter.
Aloe vera relieves itching, as well as dandruff and dandruff-affected areas, while neem tree leaf extract has antibacterial and antifungal properties. When you use them in combination, you form an excellent DIY hair mask to get rid of dandruff in winter.
- 2 tablespoons of aloe vera gel
- 10-15 fresh neem leaves or 20 drops of neem oil.
- Mix the gel of aloe vera and the extract of neem.
- Then stir the mixture for a few seconds.
- Apply the mask to the scalp and leave it on for 30 minutes.
- Wash to your liking with anti-dandruff shampoo or neutral hair product.
Combine apple cider vinegar and fenugreek to make hair mask.
Apple cider vinegar has a low pH, which prevents the growth of fungi. Its use on flaky scalp, accordingly, also helps to clean it better. The high content of protein and nicotinic acid in fenugreek seeds helps strengthen hair roots and prevent dandruff.
- 2 tablespoons fenugreek seeds
- ½ teaspoon of apple cider vinegar
- Soak fenugreek seeds overnight.
- Mix apple cider vinegar and 10-12 tablespoons of water with fenugreek seeds.
- Then apply the mixture to your scalp.
- Leave the hair mask on for 30 minutes before washing your hair afterwards.
Tea tree oil and almond oil against flaky scalp.
The antifungal properties of tea tree oil and the nourishing powers of almond oil make this mixture ideal for removing dandruff and treating dry and itchy scalps.
- 2 drops of tea tree oil
- 50 ml almond oil
- Dilute tea tree oil in almond oil first.
- Shake the mixture well and massage it on your scalp.
- Again, leave everything on for 30 minutes before washing your hair.
Note: You should dilute tea tree oil before use because it can irritate the skin. However, if you have a sensitive scalp, you should rather avoid using tea tree oil.
Try the combination of green tea and orange juice for dandruff in winter
Green tea works to combat dandruff in the winter by its ingredients reducing excess sebum production on the scalp. The acidic pH and vitamin C content of orange juice make it a good accomplice for green tea, because their ingredients are more powerful against the formation of dandruff.
- 4 tablespoons of green tea
- 2 tablespoons of orange juice
- First, mix the green tea and orange juice.
- Then apply the mixture on your scalp.
- Leave the hair treatment on for 20 minutes and then wash your hair.
More hair care tips for cold winter days
Dry scalp is one of the main causes of hair dandruff in winter. To prevent this condition from ruining your hair and your confidence, keep your scalp and hair well moisturized. Dry winter winds strip your hair of its natural oils, leaving it dry and flaky. Using heat styling and drying hair products also exacerbates the problem. The only way to avoid this is to retain and lock in the moisture in your hair with proper hair care and moisturizing products.
Pamper your hair with a hot oil massage with a nourishing oil before every hair wash. Also, treat it with steam and a hair mask once a week to give it an extra boost of moisture. This will help keep your scalp moisturized and living dandruff free in the winter.