Kim Kardashian is going out of her way to create a controversial hairstyle. The TV star has been spotted several times in the past month with an updo that her hairstylist Chris Appleton has dubbed the “Wet Flip Bun.” The name may sound strange, but it’s basically a cross between a chignon and a ponytail that you can comfortably wear while working from home, in the office or at a birthday party. Yep, you know the drill.
Table of Contents
Kim Kardashian and her simple flip bun
To create the look, Appleton smoothed Kardashian’s bleached hair back and tied it with a black elastic at the crown. This topknot follows the eye level. Instead of pulling the ponytail all the way through, he made a small chignon at the last loop and let a few inches of wavy hair dangle underneath, reaching past her neck. The hairstyle is embellished with a super-smooth finish. Her dark brunette hairline contrasts with her platinum blonde hair color, which adds an extra cool touch to the hairstyle.
All in all, the hairstyle is pretty straightforward and doable, which is more than can be said for most of the Kardashian family’s beauty and fashion moments.
Kardashian first showed off a wet flip bun when she attended a Kylie Cosmetics launch party with her family on August 24. It was a striking change of pace for the reality TV contestant, who had always worn her hair open and wavy or in voluminous Pamela Anderson-style chignon all summer. Since then, she has worn the fascinating hairstyle a few more times, including at Fendi’s New York Fashion Week show.
So is the wet flip bun the new trend hairstyle of 2022? Only time will tell, but if anyone can pull it off, it’s Kardashian. Check out the photos of the reality TV star’s latest beauty obsession and decide if you’ll be recreating it soon.
Make flip bun yourself – instructions
Dutts are our favorite hairstyle for lazy days and we’ll show you how to make the flip bun yourself. You can style it easily and quickly. The secret to getting the perfect look? You can wear the flip bun even with messy hair: second day (or third, or even fourth) hair is perfect for this hairstyle. The sassy flip bun will make your day easier if you have dirty hair. This hairstyle is a better choice if you just can’t bring yourself to wash your hair on a morning , or on an afternoon after a quick work-out.
If your hair is clean and you want to get the look down, spray your hair with dry shampoo/texturizing spray to add some texture and grip. Only redo the chignon if it really hangs down during the day, otherwise just leave it as is. And there you have it – an effortless style that’s actually easy to achieve.
The perfect, fuss-free flip chignon in 5 steps:
- Spray your hair with a texturizing spray.
- Tie your hair into a tight ponytail, which can be as high or low as you like. For Kim Kardashian, it tends to be lower.
- Instead of pulling the ponytail all the way through, make a small chignon at the last loop and let a few inches of wavy or straight hair dangle.
- Comb all the strands of hair back into a ponytail and use a hair gel to create a wet look. Make sure your strands are combed back perfectly.
- Finally, you can spray your hair with hairspray.
Quick chignon hairstyles that you can try out
Messy chignon for every day
A casual, messy chignon is cute and easy to recreate.
- First, give your hair more body and grip with a texturizing hairspray.
- Then, flip your head over, pin your hair into a high ponytail, and tie your strands into a chignon, pulling out as many sections as you like – the messier the better.
Modern hairstyles: deep, classy chignon.
This hairstyle is ideal for a Monday meeting as well as a Friday night wedding.
- Brush your hair and then gather it into a ponytail at the nape of your neck.
- Wrap the ponytail into a chignon and tuck the end under the chignon (as if you were tying a knot).
- Pull a few small strands of hair out of the chignon to create a model-like look.
- Eliminate any obvious strands of hair with a spritz of hairspray and you’re done.
Half up chignon – casual hairstyles for fall 2022.
The half chignon is a youthful hairstyle that’s perfect for everything from going to the gym to going out with the girls.
- Section off the top part of your hair. Smooth it back, creating a ponytail at the top of your head.
- Twist the hair into a chignon and pin it with bobby pins.
- Ruffle the sides that hang down and you’re ready to go.