As fall turns to winter, temperatures begin to drop and you may notice a change in your skin. Low temperatures and high winds can cause your skin to lose moisture, leading to dryness, cracking and even bleeding. However, it’s not just your hands and body that suffer: Your lips can also become cracked, dry and painful. Read on to learn which is the best lip care in fall and winter to always have smooth and picture-perfect lips.
Table of Contents
How can you take care of dry lips in fall and winter?
There are a few tips you can follow to make sure your lips are protected from the cold. Plus, no matter how dry, flaky, or chapped they are, they can be nourished back to health with a little extra care and the right products. Let us help you with some brilliant tips to combat dry lips in the fall and winter.
Use a lip balm regularly
To protect your lips from cold, drying air and keep them moisturized, use your favorite mild lip balm several times a day and right before bed. It is important to use lip balms that contain non-irritating ingredients. These include various aromas, camphor, eucalyptus, menthol and other fragrances. A tingling sensation in your lips is actually not a good sign – it can mean they are irritated on some level. Look for moisturizing lip balms that are fragrance-free and hypoallergenic.
Don’t pluck your lips
Although it’s tempting, avoid picking at dry skin, pulling or biting at your lips. This can further damage them and make them drier. If you feel the urge to pick at your lips, keep a lip balm handy to apply instead. Also, try not to lick your lips. The enzymes in saliva that are supposed to digest food actually irritate your lips.
Don’t sleep in an overly warm room.
It’s better to sleep in a cool room with an extra blanket than in a warm room that dries out your skin. Put on a pair of socks (apply your favorite scented lotion or cream first), turn down the thermostat, and apply a layer of lip balm to your mouth.
Fall and winter lip care: Stay hydrated
Lip products are essential, but what’s equally important and unavoidable is staying hydrated by drinking plenty of water. In the fall and winter, you tend to drink less water because your body sweats less, which is one of the reasons that your skin and lips in particular feel and look dry and sallow. When your body is hydrated from the inside, it shows on your skin. To combat dryness and keep your lips moist and healthy in the winter, make sure to drink enough water and moisturize from the inside out.
Eat a diet rich in vitamins
To keep your lips soft and supple, fortify your diet with the vitamins and minerals your body needs. Vitamin A is especially important for lips. You can find it in fish oil, carrots, dairy products, apricots, egg yolks, spinach and cabbage.
Home remedies for lip care in autumn and winter
- Aloe vera: It is a commonly available plant, so you can plant one in a flower pot. You can use the gel extracted from the leaves to make your lips soft and supple. Aloe vera is rich in water, which moisturizes your lips.
- Ghee: A drop of ghee can do wonders for dry and chapped lips. Ghee acts as a moisturizer. Apply some on your lips and leave it overnight.
- Honey: It is known as an amazing moisturizer that has healing and antibacterial properties to treat chapped lips. Make a mixture of honey and glycerin and apply it on your mouth. Leave it on overnight and wake up with amazing lips.
- Rose petals and milk: Take some fresh rose petals and soak them in some raw milk for a few hours. Apply this milk on your lips at least 2 to 3 times a day. Milk and rose petals have moisturizing effects that help in making your lips fresh pink.
- Sugar: It acts as an exfoliator that helps to remove the dead skin on your lips, making them look smooth and soft. Take some honey and mix sugar with it. Rub and massage it well on the lips. Keep it for some time and wash off with warm water, followed by a natural lip balm.
- Coconut oil: it is one of the best natural moisturizers you might come across. All you need to do is warm some of it and massage it into your lips. Leave it on overnight and wake up with soft and supple lips.