Micro-concrete, also known as micro-cement, is an innovative design-based product used in construction. The main reason why a cement of this type became so popular when it was first introduced is that it is a composite and decorative coating based on water-based resins, cement and other mineral pigments and additives mixed with it. The end result is a very fine and hard substance that resembles concrete in many ways. The main purpose of this cement is to apply it to any type of hard and durable substance that will look and feel like concrete.
Table of Contents
Micro concrete as a modern building material
When microcement first came on the market, people were skeptical about its use. However, as more and more constructions are made with this type of cement, it has become one of the most sought-after building and construction materials today. In this article we will talk about micro cement , its use and benefits. Read on to learn more about this versatile building material.
What is microcement?
A cement of this type consists of a very fine coating made of cement and polymers. Fine aggregates are added to it, which are mixed with water-based or powdered polymers to make it adhere to almost any material. The entire coating consists of three to four extremely thin layers of the product.
Most cements on the market consist of a fast-setting cement, fillers such as fine quartz powder, calcium carbonate, a polymer that acts as an adhesive, and very fine aggregates. The end result is a very fine cement layer that is not actually cement and can adhere to almost any type of surface such as tile, concrete, cement board, gypsum board, cement screed, etc.
When all these ingredients are mixed together, the result is a very flexible and strong medium that can be used for the construction of floors, walls and even for the installation of furniture. The strength of the coating develops extremely quickly due to the rapid hardening process of the cement and the admixed additives.
Some of the properties of microcement are listed below:
- It can be used and applied on both existing and new surfaces for floors and walls.
- It is very resistant to abrasion and also hardens quickly.
- Various colors are available to match the aesthetics of your design.
- It is very crack resistant and can be used flexibly for underfloor heating.
- The thin layers of cement can be applied with trowels and are suitable for walls, floors, furniture and countertops.
Microcement can be used for numerous construction and design purposes and is versatile. It is used for both commercial and residential purposes and looks great on any material it is used on. Microcrete is often used for items such as shelving and kitchen surfaces as it helps to create a durable, seamless and modern finish.
This material is very durable by nature and can be used on both interior and exterior surfaces of a building. There is less risk of erosion due to weathering and natural phenomena, and the color remains the same throughout the seasons, unlike regular concrete, which darkens over time.
This type of cement is a great option for people looking for an affordable and durable aesthetic for floors and walls that resembles concrete. It is also waterproof and can be used in bathrooms and kitchen backsplashes. The material is available in a variety of textures and colors, depending on where it is used. This makes it a good option for implementing contemporary design aesthetics and elements in construction.
Microconcrete can still be conveniently used in places that frequently get wet. Recently, sinks, sinks and even bathroom fixtures made of this cement have become very popular.
How is microcement used?
This differs from conventional concrete in that no special tools or machinery are required for its installation. The following steps describe the process of applying it to surfaces.
- First, the surface to which the cement is to be applied is washed. Any dirt, grit or dust must be thoroughly removed to allow the material to do its best. Any exposed metal must also be cleaned and coated to prevent corrosion.
- Next comes the mixing process, where the powdered material is mixed with water. This is usually done by hand, although a high-powered mixer can be used for mixing. The water must be added to the cement slowly, and the mixture must be stirred constantly.
- The final process is the application of the material. It is important to pour the mixture on the surface as soon as possible to get the best results. You can also use some clean tools to smooth the mixture on the surface.
What are the advantages of using microcement?
- Microcement products are highly adaptable and can be used for various applications.
- It offers more flexibility and style than regular concrete , and at a lower price than concrete.
- It is very thin and does not require much space to be installed. You only need the material to be coated and the thickness is only about 3mm.
- Microcement can be used again and again, if the surface is damaged. It is not necessary to scrape off all the cement and then apply a new layer.
- It is waterproof and can be used in places that are constantly in contact with water, such as swimming pools, bathtubs, bathrooms, etc.
- It helps to give your surfaces a modern look and increases the design aesthetics.
- Most cements of this type are environmentally friendly and are made from recycled materials.