Ergonomics in the workplace is a topic that is far too often underestimated. Whether it’s a large office space or a home office, anyone who works sitting for hours on end needs to set up the workplace ergonomically to avoid health problems. In addition to the right office furniture, other factors also play a role. What should you pay particular attention to when furnishing? What equipment should not be missing from an ergonomic workplace? And which furnishing mistakes should be avoided? We answer these questions in the article!
Table of contents
- How can I furnish the workplace ergonomically?
- Tips for more ergonomics at the workplace
- Common mistakes when furnishing an office
How can I furnish the workplace ergonomically?
The very first and most important step in furnishing an office is choosing the right furniture. This should be ergonomic and offer a high level of comfort. Only then can employees feel good and perform at their full potential.
Selecting the right desk
A VDU workplace without a desk is unimaginable. Since sitting for long periods of time is unhealthy, a height-adjustable desk is recommended for ergonomic office equipment. The sit-stand desk offers many advantages – on the one hand, it improves back health, and on the other hand, it increases concentration and performance. What else speaks for the purchase of height-adjustable desks in the office, you can read at Büromöbel Experte .
Which office chair is the right one?
To protect the back, the office chair must be ergonomically adjustable. What does that mean exactly? The chair must offer various adjustment options to adapt to the user. A flexible backrest as well as adjustable armrests ensure optimal sitting comfort. To sit ergonomically, the thighs should be positioned horizontally, the knees should form a 90-degree angle and the feet should be flat on the floor.
The concept of dynamic sitting is also enjoying great popularity right now. Special active seating furniture such as kneeling chairs and active stools have been designed for this purpose, offering great freedom of movement and are increasingly preferred over classic office chairs.
Ergonomic desk accessories
For an ergonomic workplace, a height-adjustable desk and an adaptable chair are not enough. People who work 8 or more hours a day at a computer workstation often have complaints in the wrist area. Therefore, office accessories such as an ergonomic keyboard and comfortable wrist rests on the desk should also not be missing. A simple trick also helps here: place the keyboard on a folder with an inclined plane so that it is slightly higher and at an angle. This reduces tension in the arms and improves typing comfort.
Tips for more ergonomics at the workplace
To make the workplace ergonomic, you need to follow some basic rules. We have summarized the most important of these below.
- Sufficient working space – Especially in shared office spaces, it is important to ensure at least 10 square meters of space per workstation.
- Good lighting conditions – Rooms with sufficient daylight and good ceiling lights that do not dazzle or cause reflections on the screen are optimal.
- Interior design in light colors – Dark furniture and walls have an oppressive effect and should be avoided in the office space. Instead, you need to go for light, natural tones without too much shine or bold accents.
- Large screen – For PC work, a large monitor is preferable to a laptop. A minimum 22″ large screen would be recommended. Studies have further proven that multi-monitor workstation significantly increases productivity , so purchasing a second monitor can be beneficial in many cases.
- Raise the monitor higher – If a height-adjustable desk is not available at the workstation, you should at least be able to raise the monitor to a higher level. If the gaze is directed downward throughout the workday, neck pain is the result. The easiest way to adjust the height of the monitor is with a monitor riser. If you work on two monitors, they should ideally be positioned at different heights.
- Good working atmosphere – There does not have to be any disturbing noise at the workplace. Heating in winter and ventilation in summer must work well. Plants can further contribute to a pleasant atmosphere in the office space.
Common mistakes when furnishing an office
If you want your workplace to be ergonomic and comfortable, there are many things you should pay attention to. Here we have listed some of the most common office furniture mistakes that you should avoid at all costs.
The desk is too small or see-through
A large desk gives freedom of movement and allows you to work with multiple monitors and documents. So you have to count with minimum dimensions 160 cm x 80 cm for the desk. Furthermore, the desk top must not be transparent at all. Glass desks cause light reflections that reduce concentration and tire the eyes faster.
The desk is positioned incorrectly
There is no single right place for the desk. However, positioning it directly in front of the window or against the wall is not ideal and can be problematic. It would be recommended to position the desk perpendicular to the window.
Office chair is poorly adjusted
The presence of an ergonomic office chair cannot guarantee a good sitting position. The chair must be adapted to the user and you yourself must take care of a good posture. The backrest should be adjusted so that the lumbar region is at belt level. The angle between the upper body and the thigh should be between 90 and 120 degrees, so that the back is not strained.
Too much emphasis on appearance
Design plays an important role in office design, but by no means the most important. In the first place, office furniture must be functional and ergonomic, and only then look good.
Not enough storage space
When there is clutter in the workplace, you feel cramped and stressed. Therefore, storage areas, drawers and shelves must not be missing in the office under any circumstances. Everything that is needed frequently must be in close proximity. Less used documents and papers should be stored in a separate place.
Good office design can significantly improve productivity in the workplace. Ergonomic furniture provides more comfort and prevents health problems. If the workplace is ergonomically furnished and a pleasant working atmosphere is created there, concentration and performance are improved.