In the hectic everyday life there is hardly time to clean the bathroom every day. Calcified shower stalls , dirty tiles, soap residues on the sink are often the result. Fortunately, they can be quickly removed even with an all-purpose cleaner from the drugstore. However, if you are looking for an environmentally friendly alternative, opt for a natural cleaning agent. In today’s post, we’ll explain how you can make a bathroom cleaner yourself.
Table of contents
- 1. make bathroom cleaner yourself: What home remedies can remove dirt and debris?
- 2. make bathroom cleaner yourself: Various recipes
- 3. do-it-yourself toilet cleaner
- 4. do-it-yourself all-purpose bathroom cleaner
- 5. clean bathroom properly
1. do it yourself bathroom cleaner: What home remedies can remove dirt and debris?
Disinfect, remove debris and flavor: A bathroom cleaner has to be able to do a lot. Fortunately, there are several home remedies that each of us has at home that have excellent cleaning properties. Such are, among others, baking soda, vinegar, curd soap, lemon juice. However, there are a few things to keep in mind when cleaning:
- Natural materials such as stone are very sensitive to acidic cleaning agents. To avoid discoloration and homemade bathroom cleaner leaves stains, you should make a list of all the materials in the bathroom and find out in advance from the manufacturer, with what you can clean them. If this is not possible, then you can first test the bathroom cleaner on an invisible place.
- Glass and ceramics are mostly acid-resistant, but they are sensitive to scratches. So for them, home remedies with lemon juice or diluted vinegar come into question, while baking soda and baking soda are less suitable.
- If you make a bathroom cleaner yourself, then patience is required above all. You often have to test the formula several times and improve it if necessary or adapt it to your own needs.
- A homemade toilet cleaner can make the toilet sparkling white again. However, some home remedies can also damage the drain pipe. To avoid this, you should first consult a professional before experimenting with toilet cleaners.
2. make bathroom cleaner yourself: Various recipes
To make cleaning faster, you can divide the bathroom into several zones and remove the dirt with different cleaning agents.
2.1. make bathroom cleaner against lime yourself
Lime deposits in the bathroom are not a pretty sight. In order for you to remove them, you need a lime cleaner. You can find numerous products in drugstores, but you can also make the lime cleaner yourself.
Make your own bathroom cleaner with vinegar essence for the bathroom fixtures
The white vinegar and apple cider vinegar contain vinegar essence, which can remove lime. If you do not have vinegar at home, you can simply dilute the vinegar essence with water in a ratio of 1:10. This means that you can dissolve 100 ml of vinegar essence in 1 liter of water. Then, pour the lime cleaner into a glass bottle and spray it on the deposits. Let the vinegar essence solution sit for half an hour before rinsing the area.
Bathroom cleaner with rinse aid for the tiles in the shower: You can use rinse aid to quickly and reliably decalcify the tiles. If the lime deposits are very stubborn, then you can put some rinse aid directly on it. Let it soak in for 10 minutes before scrubbing the tiles with a soft sponge.
Alternatively, you can make the rinse aid yourself. For this purpose, dissolve 10 g of grated organic curd soap in 50 ml of warm water. Then add 1 tsp baking soda and dilute the solution with 250 ml cold water.
2.2 Make your own bathroom cleaner against rust
Rusty bathroom fixtures or rust stains in the sink? A bathroom cleaner can help against that. You can also make a lemon cleaner against rust yourself. For this purpose, you will need 5 fresh lemons and 350 ml of white vinegar. First, cut the lemons into thin slices and put them in a preserving jar. Then pour the white vinegar into the jam jar. Make sure it covers the lemon slices completely and close the jar. Now put it in a cool place. The pantry in the kitchen or an unheated and shaded conservatory works well. Let the lemon cleaner rest there for a month. Then you can carefully remove the lemon slices and use the liquid to clean rust stains in the bathroom.
Baking soda and baking powder against rust
The combination of baking soda and baking powder also proves to be particularly effective against rust. You can put the two ingredients in a clean bowl. Pour water gradually into the bowl and mix the ingredients until creamy. Then spread some bathroom cleaner on the rust spot and scrub it with a soft sponge, rinse it off and then dry it well with a cloth.
2.3 Make your own bathroom cleaner against mold.
Do you have mold in your bathroom? Then you can remove it with the following homemade bathroom cleaners. But in order to really get rid of it, you should ventilate the room well. Leave the bathroom door open overnight.
If the mold has only infested a small area in the bathroom, then medicinal alcohol is a great option. Simply put a little alcohol on a dry cloth and treat the infested area with it. To be on the safe side, you can first test on an invisible area to see if the alcohol leaves any stains. Although this is very rare, it is possible if the surface is very sensitive. You should not use alcohol on metal.
Removing mold from metal and ceramics is not an easy task. However, white vinegar can successfully kill the dangerous fungal spores. Soak a cloth in white vinegar and leave it on the infested bathroom fixtures overnight.
2.4 DIY bathroom cleaner against soap residues
Soap residues are difficult to remove. Therefore, you need to let the homemade bathroom cleaner soak for some time.
You can use a bathroom cleaner with baking soda and vinegar for the shower stall, stainless steel fixtures, bathtub and sink. For the grout lines and natural stone tiles, as well as wooden furniture, other mild home cleaners may be considered.
The necessary ingredients:
- 200 g baking soda
- 120 ml hot water
- 120 ml liquid soap
- 2 tsp. white vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 5-6 drops of lemon juice (optional)
- a jam jar
Pour all ingredients into a jam jar, close the jar and shake vigorously. Put some cleaner on a sponge and lightly scrub the surface. Then let the bathroom cleaner work and rinse it off.
Make your own bathroom cleaner with rinse aid Not only can rinse aid remove lime residue quickly and easily. You can also get rid of soap residues from tiles quickly and easily.
Use curd soap on stainless steel surfaces. For this purpose, simply mix 50 g of baking soda, 50 g of baking powder and 75 g of curd soap grates in a bowl. Then dissolve the dry ingredients in 500 ml of warm water and pour it into a spray bottle. Spray the bathroom fixtures with it and leave for up to 10 minutes if necessary. Then rinse and dry.
3. make toilet cleaner yourself
When it comes to the cleanliness of the toilet area, then you should resort to other home remedies. We explain how you can make a toilet cleaner yourself.
WC cleaner for stubborn deposits with cola and baking soda
- 1 can of Coca-Cola (355 ml)
- 50 ml baking soda
- 100 ml white vinegar
First, shake the cola into the toilet bowl and let it sit for 10 minutes before flushing. Then pour the white vinegar and baking soda one by one into the toilet bowl and wait. When the toilet cleaner stops bubbling, flush several times.
Make your own toilet cleaner against urine scale and lime.
- 200 ml white vinegar (made from sugar beets or corn, it is a mild acid that disinfects and removes odors).
- 150 g borax (sodium salt of boric acid, which can remove stains and make the toilet bright white again).
- 10 drops of scented oil. For your toilet cleaner, you can use tea tree oil, also peppermint, rosemary or eucalyptus oil, which are known for their antibacterial properties.
Mix all the ingredients in a bowl and pour the solution into the toilet bowl. Wait 2-3 hours before flushing.
Make a gentle toilet cleaner yourself for daily use.
If you clean the toilet several times a week, then you can opt for the following recipe:
- 50 g baking soda
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 Fragrance oil with antibacterial properties.
Fill the white vinegar in a spray bottle, add about 10-15 drops of fragrance oil and spray it on the toilet lid, toilet seat and toilet bowl. Leave the solution for a few minutes and then spread the baking soda in the toilet bowl. Use the toilet brush to remove stubborn urine scale stains. Rinse thoroughly.
4. make all-purpose cleaner for the bathroom yourself.
An all-purpose cleaner for the bathroom comes in handy when it’s not too dirty. Here comes a recipe that contains almost all the ingredients already mentioned. It disinfects, removes soap residues and lime deposits. To be on the safe side, you should first test the effect of the all-purpose cleaner in a less visible place. These are the necessary ingredients:
- 300 ml of warm water
- 50 g baking soda
- 100 ml vodka
- 10 drops of tea tree oil
- 10 drops of lemon oil
- a glass spray bottle
- a self-adhesive label
- a funnel
- a jam jar
1. fill the 300 ml of warm water into the jam jar.
2. add 25 g of baking soda.
3. pour also the 100 ml of vodka into the jar.
4. now add the fragrance oils.
5.Stir the solution very well and pour it into a glass spray bottle.
5. clean bathroom properly
Lime scale, dirt, rust and mold are unsightly and can also be hazardous to your health. With the right cleaning products, they can be removed quickly and easily. However, there are a few things you need to keep in mind when handling them:
- Air the bathroom well after each cleaning.
- Always wear rubber gloves to protect your skin.
- Small children and pets should not be near the bathroom while cleaning.
For many, the bathroom is their personal little oasis where they can relax after a long day. However, in order for a stay in the bathroom to be truly relaxing, it should be really clean. There are many bathroom cleaners to choose from in drugstores, but many of them contain chemicals that can irritate skin and eyes. That’s why more and more people are opting for a homemade alternative and making their cleaning products at home. With it, lime, rust and soap residues can be removed quickly and without much effort.