Flat roof is one of the most common types of roofs. Cost-effective and very practical, it is especially suitable for city villas, garden houses, garages and roofing. Thus, all rooms have a high ceiling without slopes and niches. However, especially with this type of roof, homeowners should pay very good attention to quality workmanship and have even minor defects repaired as soon as possible. The consequences of a leaking roof are far-reaching and bring expensive repairs. After all, rainwater can not only damage the insulation, but also lead to mold. We explain how you can renovate a flat roof and what you should look out for.
Renovate or seal a flat roof? Roofing with EPDM roof foil
When it comes to roof renovation or waterproofing, there are several options to choose from. Two-layer installation with bitumen is safe, but costly. Liquid waterproofing is durable, but must be done very precisely. In comparison, the laying of an EPDM roofing membrane is very simple. That is why the method with EPDM roofing foil has been successfully established in recent years and is becoming more and more popular. Unlike bitumen waterproofing, the installation is quite uncomplicated. The special roof foil is glued directly onto the dry insulation layer on one side. Skill is required above all when laying it. However, experienced do-it-yourselfers can master the task on their own. The roof foil is laid in several simple steps:
1. the flat roof is thoroughly cleaned. Laying is done only on a clean surface.
2. then the tarp is laid out and cut if necessary, leaving an overhang of at least 40 cm on the sides.
3. in the next step, the tarpaulin is folded in half once and a surface adhesive is applied to it with a paint roller. Leave a margin of about 20 cm. Contact glue is applied there .
4. then glue the half, smoothing air bubbles and wrinkles with a clean paint roller.
5. proceed in a similar way with the other half – fold over the roofing film, apply a generous amount of surface adhesive, carefully place the film on the roof and smooth it with the paint roller.
6. then glue the fascia boards with contact glue.
The EPDM roofing film has high elasticity and may stretch slightly during the summer months. As a result, air bubbles or wrinkles may form, but these will disappear during the winter months. It is quite possible that the film will discolor over time. However, this is only a blemish and will not affect the waterproofing.
Renovate flat roof or seal it instead?
Whether damage has to be sealed individually or the entire flat roof is renovated depends on several factors. Those who move into a new building and recognize minor damage in time can have it sealed. Even a new house should therefore be checked every 4-5 months. Furthermore, it is important that the thermal insulation of the roof is not damaged. Waterproofing should be done by an experienced professional and installed on a dry and clean roof.
However, those who buy an old building should have the roof thoroughly inspected. If defects are found, it is advisable to renovate the entire flat roof. The costs, which come in this case on one, are higher than with a waterproofing. However, the investment pays off in any case, because a well-rehabilitated roof also has a very long life.