Maybe you want to make cute hair bands for yourself to keep your hair away while doing your housework, during your workout or while walking in the park, while enjoying a fresh and colorful look? Here you will find a collection of DIY fabric hair ties that you can use to make hair accessories for yourself, your baby or your little girl. They also make great handmade gifts. We’ll show you how to easily sew a hair band yourself to cover up your gray hair when you can’t go to the hairdresser. Or if you just want to look cool and carefree. These sewing projects will only take you less than 20 minutes! Don’t believe it? Check it out for yourself!
Table of Contents
How to make a simple twist headband yourself
Materials and Tools:
Fabric scraps – 1 piece with some stretch and good recovery.
Sewing supplies – thread, scissors
- Fold the fabric in half so that the long ends are together. Sew or hem the long end together so that it forms a tube. Turn it right side out and sew the seam you just sewed down the center of the fabric strip.
- Fold the fabric in half so that the short ends are against each other.
- Stagger the ends so that the center seam of the top half matches the right edge of the bottom half. Half of the fabric now overlaps with itself and the other half should overlap on the other side.
- Fold the top half of the fabric (the one that doesn’t overlap) down so that it is under the other half.
- Fold the bottom half of the fabric up and over the hair band.
- Sew all the layers together.
- Turn it over so that the thick seam you just sewed is behind the knot. Fiddle with it to make sure the seam is covered.
Hints: You can easily adjust the size to fit your head – either larger or smaller. You can also adjust the width to suit your personal preferences. And if you want to know what hairstyles go with hair bands, read here !
Sew hairband yourself from an old t-shirt
What do you need: 2 strips of t-shirt fabric and an elastic band.
- Step 1: Cut 2 strips from your t-shirt, each 3 cm wide.
- Step 2: Cut away the seams and fold each strip lengthwise in half.
- Step 3: Take each of the two strips and cross them in the middle.
- Step 4: Fold the ends of each side over an elastic and sew in place. Sew the other end in place to create a ring. Wear it so that the folded part is slightly tilted to the side.
DIY T-shirt hairband with sailor knot.
This hairband looks a bit more complicated, but it’s actually a super simple knot, the sailor knot. You can use a striped men’s t-shirt to add a slightly nautical flair.
- Step 1: Cut either 2 or 4 strips depending on how thick you want your knot. You can double your strips to create a nice, thick look.
- Step 2: Pull hard on the strips to turn your fabric into “yarn”.
- Step 3: Now tie your sailor’s knot.
How to tie a sailor’s knot:
1. make a loop with one strip and then place the second strip over it like a smiley face.
2. put the right end of the smiley under the leg of the loop.
3. take the left side of the smiley and cross it under the top loop.
4. take the right side of the smiley and put it under the lower thread under the upper loop.
5. Now pull all 4 threads at the same time to tighten the sailor knot.
- Step 4: Check the fit, cut the ends to the right length and fold them over an elastic.
- Step 5: Sew them in place by hand or machine. This pretty little sailor knot will make any hairstyle look chic .
Sew your own simple t-shirt headband
This is a really easy DIY project. You can sew a headband yourself in just a few steps:
- Step 1: Cut a strip of fabric from your t-shirt – twice as wide as you want and a comfortable length around your head.
- Step 2: Fold the strip at the ends and sew the ends together by machine or by hand.
- Step 3: Turn it right side out and fold it. You already have a fancy headband. You can throw it over a messy side pony, or pair it with workout clothes for the gym.