Who thought that the simple pumpkin buckets that kids use for trick-or-treating on Halloween would also be great for decorating for the holiday? It’s true! We’ve collected some great ideas in this article on how you can craft an inexpensive Halloween decoration out of those cheap plastic buckets! Take a look at our ideas and get inspired!
Table of Contents
The spookiest time of the year is coming in a few days and if you are not ready with the decorations yet, you can use the remaining days to use a few last minute ideas. In the following collection we show how you can quickly and easily turn the cheap pumpkin buckets from the craft store into great decorations for the spooky holiday.
Craft pumpkin mummy as a Halloween decoration.
Plastic buckets for Halloween candy are usually orange, but can be painted in any color. You can use acrylic paint or spray paint for this, depending on what you have on hand. Keep in mind that you may want to apply the paint two or three times to make sure it covers well.
And now for the first super simple idea! To turn a round pumpkin bucket into mummy, all you need is white paint and gauze pads. First, remove the handle of the bucket and paint it white, leaving the eyes and grin black. After the paint has dried completely, wrap the plastic bucket with gauze pads, leaving a gap for the eyes. Glue the ends of the gauze bandage and you’re done. You have made great and inexpensive Halloween decorations yourself in a very short time!
Modern Halloween decoration with gold accents cheap do it yourself
Do you want to give your Halloween decoration a sophisticated touch without spending a lot of money, then the plastic pumpkins are super suitable for this purpose. With a simple trick, you can refine the buckets and turn them into expensive-looking lanterns. All you need besides the pumpkin buckets is a stencil knife, some LED pillar candles, spray paint in gold, and acrylic paint in black and/or white.
- First, remove the handles from the plastic pumpkins using pliers.
- Then cut off the eyes, nose and mouth using a sharp stencil knife.
- Go outside and first spray the inside of each bucket with gold spray paint. After the paint dries, paint the outside of the pumpkins with white or black paint. Apply a second coat of paint if needed. Allow the paint to dry completely.
- Then, stick an LED candle inside each pumpkin and find a suitable place for the cheap Halloween decorations.
Cheap idea for table decoration
If you don’t want to spend too much money on Halloween party table decorations, you can use plastic candy baskets and turn them into this spooky and beautiful decoration. To do this, paint the pumpkin baskets completely with golden paint and arrange them in the middle of the table. The golden pumpkins can then be used as vases for real or dry flowers and will add a classy touch to your Halloween table.
DIY glow-in-the-dark decorations for indoors or outdoors.
To decorate your home entrance in the spirit of the spooky holiday, you can use the cheap plastic buckets to make effective witch cauldrons. For one cauldron you will need the following:
- 1 large plastic pumpkin
- 1 large flower pot coaster
- 2 battery operated fairy lights + batteries
- 1 round black tablecloth
- green glitter
- neon green paint
- hot glue gun
- transparent ornaments in different sizes
- First, wrap the pumpkin bucket with the black tablecloth. To do this, simply place the pumpkin in the center of a round black tablecloth and place the tablecloth up and around it. Twist the top of the tablecloth to hold it in place.
- Place the coaster on top of the pumpkin, wrap the excess fabric around the plate and tuck it in. Use hot glue to adhere the seam of the tablecloth between the coaster and the pumpkin.
- Next, remove the silver tips from the clear ornaments.
- Then squirt some green paint into the ornaments and sprinkle glitter in.
- After all the balls are painted, attach them to the wrapped coaster with hot glue. There is no wrong way to do this. It’s best to start with the large ornaments first and then add smaller ones.
- Then wrap the battery operated string of lights around the “bubbles”. Make sure the batteries are in the back so you can change them and reach the on/off switch.
Make your own flower pots from plastic pumpkin buckets.
If you don’t want to make Halloween decorations too spooky, you can also try this pretty idea for flower pots with pumpkin faces. The inexpensive plastic buckets from the discount store make perfect planters and can be used both indoors and outdoors.
First, let your imagination run wild and paint or decorate the plastic pumpkins to your liking. Whether white, orange, black, gold or any other color or pattern – the choice is yours.
Very great we find, for example, the idea for rusty flower pots. For this you can use special effect paint from the craft store, which gives a rust look.
All you should do after that is to plant the pumpkins. If you want to plant real flowers in the buckets, first you need to drill a few holes in the bottom for drainage. Then fill the buckets with soil and plant them. Or you can put a planted pot directly into it, as long as it fits.
Another original idea would be to make an entire flower tower out of several buckets. Step by step instructions can be found here , including some cool ideas and tips.