Christmas is always special and embodies a feeling of comfort and contemplation. When the temperatures drop outside, we want to make ourselves as cozy as possible at home. And how do we celebrate the most beautiful holiday of the year? With magical decorations around the house, of course! The stores are bursting with lush Christmas decorations, fluffy blankets and pillows. But amidst all the glitter and glamour of the holidays, a winter decoration made from natural materials provides a breath of fresh air. Whether we decorate with branches and twigs or fir greenery, it’s a great way to bring a bit of nature into our homes. So stop buying your Christmas decorations, instead take a walk through the park and get inspired by all the beauty that surrounds you. And since homemade is always the prettiest, below we’ve put together some really simple yet beautiful ideas for a winter decoration made from natural materials.
Table of contents
- Winter decoration from natural materials: make your own Christmas decorations
- Simple and effective: Make your own winter decoration from wooden beads
- Embellish Christmas baubles with natural materials
- Winter decoration from natural materials: A different kind of door wreath
- Make your own garland from orange slices
- Make a reindeer out of cinnamon sticks
- Sparkling pine cones are a real eye-catcher
- Winter decoration from natural materials: The most beautiful ideas to copy at a glance
Winter decorations made of natural materials: make your own Christmas decorations
A winter decoration from natural materials always conveys a feeling of warmth and security. Branches, twigs , pine cones, etc. – all this gives our home a natural charm and turns the rooms into a real winter wonderland, without creating unnecessary waste. We all know the cheap Christmas decorations from the store. How about making some ornaments yourself for a change? Budget-friendly, beautiful and sustainable, ornaments made from natural materials are the perfect addition to your decorations and look wonderful on the Christmas tree. So next time you’re out for a walk, look for some twigs and pine cones.
- Twigs, branches, pine cones, and anything else you can find
- Dried fruit (optional, but smells really lovely).
- Hot glue gun
Make your own Christmas decorations:
- First, cut and clean the twigs and branches to the desired length.
- Then fold them into the desired shape as shown in the photo above and glue them down with the hot glue gun.
- Attach a piece of cord with the hot glue gun and let it dry completely.
- Hang it up and your winter decoration made of natural materials is ready!
- It’s even easier if you simply attach a string to the tips of a few pine cones.
Simple and effective: make your own winter decoration from wooden beads
In the dark season, a homemade winter decoration from natural materials is a wonderful mood lightener and always provides an extra dose of coziness. Whether on the Christmas tree, on the Advent wreath or just to decorate the walls, these stars made of wooden beads look simply magical and come out perfectly everywhere.
- Wooden beads, about 30 pieces per star
- Fine wire
Make your own stars from wooden beads:
- First, thread 12 wooden beads onto the wire and lightly twist the end on the wire.
- Next, string two wooden beads and thread the wire up through the second bead. Repeat the process a total of six times.
- Thread the wire through the first of the two top wooden beads again and add a third. Thread the wire again through the following three beads until you are back on top. Repeat a total of six times.
- Twist the ends slightly and cut the wire with scissors. And your beautiful star made of wooden beads is ready!
Embellish Christmas baubles with natural materials
Sweeten up the holidays by easily creating a beautiful Christmas ornament out of glass baubles and a few twigs and branches. Super simple and incredibly stylish, this winter decoration made from natural materials is a real eye-catcher and best suited for a minimalist and purist Christmas decoration.
- Twigs, branches and fir greenery of your choice – you’re sure to find some during a walk in the park.
- Transparent glass Christmas baubles
- A wide ribbon in the desired color
Make your own Christmas baubles:
- First, cut the branches into approximately the diameter of the glass balls, so that they are then easier to fill.
- Carefully open the glass balls and place the branches inside. So that the Christmas decoration does not look too cluttered, keep it rather minimalist and use no more than 3-4 small branches per ball.
- Close the glass balls again and thread the string through the clasp.
- Fasten with a knot in the middle and decorate the Christmas tree or window with it.
Winter decoration from natural materials: The door wreath times differently
Door wreaths in all imaginable shapes and varieties are undoubtedly one of the most beautiful ways to immediately make our home a little more festive. Of course, you can buy a classic door wreath this year too, but why not make things a little more interesting and go for a homemade winter decoration made of natural materials? And who actually says that wreaths always have to be circular? Below, we’ll show you how to craft a stunning “triangle wreath” in no time.
- 3 branches
- Garden shears
- Fir greenery or flowers of your choice
Make your own door wreath from branches:
- First, cut the branches to the desired length and remove any bark from them.
- Lay out three branches of the same size in a triangle and tie the ends together with the wire.
- Next, place the flowers on top. Play with different types and quantities and experiment until you are satisfied with the result.
- Wrap the ends with the wire again and fasten them.
- Tie a string around the top and hang it up – it’s so easy to make a DIY door wreath!
Make your own garland from orange slices
A winter decoration made of natural materials is not only inexpensive, but also enchants us with a wonderfully pleasant scent that we can enjoy beyond the holidays. How about making a garland from orange slices to brighten up the living room? The preparation and drying of the fruit takes a little longer, but the end result is guaranteed to be worth it. Depending on how long you want the garland to be, you will need more or less oranges. For a medium-sized version, 3-4 pieces are quite enough.
- Depending on your preference, other decorative elements, such as pine cones or fresh rosemary.
Make your own garland from orange slices:
- Preheat the oven to 110 degrees and cut the oranges into thin slices.
- Pat dry well with paper towels – the less juice they contain, the faster they dry.
- Spread the orange slices on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and let them dry in the oven for about 2 hours.
- To keep them from burning, turn the slices over every so often with a spatula.
- Let cool completely and poke a small hole in them with scissors.
- Then thread with a needle and twine and your garland of orange slices is ready!
Craft reindeer from cinnamon sticks
Are you looking for ideas for simple and fun winter decorations made from natural materials? Then you’re in the right place with this reindeer made from cinnamon sticks! Super quick and really cute – a great way to craft something together with your kids!
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 1 small red pompom
- 2 decorative eyes
- Red ribbon
- Hot glue gun
Make reindeer out of cinnamon sticks:
- For the reindeer, place two cinnamon sticks together in the shape of a “V” and position the third horizontally on top.
- Glue together with the hot glue gun and let dry completely.
- Attach the eyes and pompom to it and cut a small piece of ribbon for the hanger.
- Glue to the top and your cinnamon stick reindeer is ready!
Sparkling pine cones are a real eye-catcher
Pine cones are everywhere at the moment, making them perfect for a sustainable winter decoration made from natural materials. The following idea for sparkling pine cones is enough to make something on the fly, and the result is pretty enough to hang on your Christmas tree. Whether you use gold, silver or even red for it doesn’t matter – anything that pleases is allowed! Simply coat the pine cones with a little glue, sprinkle glitter on top and voilà – your sustainable Christmas decoration is ready.
Decorate the outdoor area for Christmas
When it comes to Christmas decorations, the outdoor area is often neglected. Yet a pretty winter decoration made of natural materials looks incredibly beautiful and immediately puts us in a festive mood! So why not spice up the mailbox with a few pine cones and pine greenery and thus beautify the letter carrier’s day? Such a decoration is guaranteed to attract the eyes of all passers-by, believe us!
Winter decoration from natural materials: the most beautiful ideas to copy at a glance
Simply arrange a few branches and twigs in vases and you have the perfect purist Christmas decoration
Dry orange slices are best suited for a simple yet impressive Christmas decoration
Beautifully decorated canning jars give the room a feeling of security and contemplation
Or why not make a poinsettia out of pine greenery?
Slit a few oranges, arrange them with pine cones and berries on a tray and you have created the perfect winter table decoration
A winter decoration made of natural materials is usually guided by the motto “less is more”
Enjoy the wonderful scent of pine cones and pine greenery
A minimalist door wreath is best for decorating the walls more festive
Craft candle holders from cinnamon sticks for a simple and beautiful winter decoration made from natural materials
Decorate the outdoor area in a Christmassy way to put your guests in a festive mood before getting together
A garland of orange slices makes a great contrast to the fir greenery and is definitely a real eye-catcher
Sometimes the smallest details have the biggest impact