Paper clips can do so much more than hold small stacks of paper together! These practical helpers are also perfect as craft materials at Christmas. They are made of very thin metal that can be easily bent and shaped. There are also cheerful colorful paper clips that are painted and covered with plastic. Check out our original ideas for Christmas tree decorations made from paper clips and see for yourself how versatile and creatively usable they really are.
Make geometric Christmas tree decorations from paper clips
Geometric Christmas tree ornaments have been all the rage for a few years now. These paper clip pendants are a great alternative to classic Christmas tree baubles and are fascinating because of their graphic shape.
What you need:
- colorful paper clips, large and small
- wooden beads in different shapes
- nylon thread
- optional: ornament pliers or needle nose pliers
First, take 5-7 paper clips and bend them into triangles. Thread the first paper clip through the hole of the bead. Add as many paper clips as would fit in the hole.
Cut a piece of nylon thread and fold it in half. To make a loop, pass the two strands through a paper clip first and then pull through the hole at the non-knotted end. Add rhinestones or glitter to make the Christmas tree charms even more festive!
Bending a guardian angel from a paper clip
Paper clips in special shapes look very original and are also great for crafting. To bend this guardian angel, you will need a paper clip “butterfly”, a bead and thin satin ribbon. Paper clip angels are not only a nice gift addition at Christmas, but are also popular at other celebrations as a good luck charm.
How to do it:
- Attach the ribbon around the center of the paper clip. (Do the same with the bow as in the previous tutorial).
- Thread on the bead and tie a knot.
- If desired, also thread a flat intermediate bead as a “halo”.
Skates made of felt and paper clips
If ice skating is one of your favorite winter pastimes, then this craft idea is perfect for you! These felt skates also make a great sewing project for elementary school aged kids.
- Embroidery thread and needle
- Felt in different colors
- Boot template
- Absorbent cotton or stuffing
- Paper clips for the blades
How to do it:
- Fold a piece of felt in half so that there are two layers of felt on top of each other.
- Clamp the two layers together with pins.
- Place the boot template on top and cut out the boot shape from both layers of felt. (The boot should be about the size of the paper clip).
- Now unfold the boot and pinch the paper clip at the “sole”.
- Now sew both boots together along the line, leaving the top open.
- Use a different thread for the laces.
- Possibly sew on two more beads or sequins as decoration.
Christmas tree earrings or Christmas tree ornaments
These Christmas tree earrings are very quick to make and make a great Christmas gift for a friend or your mom. The beads and glitter stones come out especially nice on the dark green background.
What you need:
- two simple paper clips
- green wool yarn
- epoxy glue or super glue
- beads and glitter stones of your choice
- ear hook
Here’s how it works:
1. open two paper clips and bend them into triangles.
2. put a drop of hot glue or epoxy glue on the connection where both ends meet.
Knot a green wool thread to the triangle. 4.
4. Hold the short strand against the paper clip and begin wrapping the long strand around the metal. This will hide the short string.
5. Continue wrapping until the metal is completely covered. Tie a knot.
Tie another piece of string on the opposite corner.
Now wrap the string around the entire earring until you are satisfied with the result.
8. then thread the loose end of the string into a needle and pass it through the middle of the earring, from the bottom up.
9. put some transparent glue at the top and bottom of the earring to prevent the threads from slipping off the triangle.
10. put a few drops of super glue on the “fir tree” and glue the beads and glitter stones.
11. once the glue is dry, attach the ear hook.
Repeat all the steps for the second earring.
round paper clips
Among the special shapes there are also these round paper clips. Thanks to their spiral shape, they can be easily wrapped around the branches of the Christmas tree.
The next idea is very easy to realize! You need poly ribbon to curl in different colors and scissors. Simply curl the ribbons with the scissors and knot them to the paper clips. This Christmas tree ornament is ideal for small Christmas trees that can not hold the weight of conventional ornaments.