We’ve all been there – Carnival is just around the corner and you have no idea what you want to dress up as this year. But constantly spending a lot of money on expensive costumes that are then just stowed away somewhere in the closet doesn’t make a lot of sense. And sometimes you just don’t have the ideas for a great look. Well, you’ll be surprised what cool outfits you can conjure up with things you already have in your closet or with very little effort and a little creativity. And that’s exactly what we are here for you – in this article we will show you how to make a watermelon costume by yourself!
Whether it’s strawberry, pineapple, lemon or something else – fruit carnival costumes look cute, are quick to make yourself and have been especially popular among young and old for several years.
Make watermelon costume yourself – Quick and easy DIY tutorial!
First, we’ll show you how to make an adorable watermelon costume yourself from just a pink t-shirt. The most beautiful thing about this look is that it is perfectly suitable for small children, as well as for men and women.
For this you will need the following materials:
- 1 pink t-shirt
- 1 black hair band
- 2 pieces of black felt
- 1 piece of light green felt
- 2 pieces of dark green felt
- Hot glue gun
And this is how easy it is done:
- For the small hat, cut out two circles with a diameter of 10 centimeters from the dark green felt.
- Cut out 4 triangles from the light green felt and glue them to the circle with the point angle facing in. Cut out the remaining fabric to form a nice circle.
- Now spread some felt fabric or cotton between the two dark green circles and then sew or glue them together.
- Cut out a small square from the green felt, press it slightly together at one end and glue it to the center of the circle. Finally, attach it to the hair band.
- For the T-shirt, cut small pieces from the black felt in the shape of seeds and glue them on it. Now just put it on and your watermelon costume is ready!
Conjure up a beautiful costume with things you probably already own!
Quick, easy, and incredibly cute, all you need for our next carnival costume idea is a red dress and a little creativity.
- A solid red dress
- Approximately 5 centimeter wide green ribbon
- black felt fabric
- double-sided adhesive tape
Watermelon Costume DIY Instructions:
- Attach the green ribbon to the bottom hem of the dress with the tape.
- Cut out the watermelon seeds from the black felt fabric, spread them on the dress and attach them.
- Earrings in the shape of watermelon are cute and complete your look.
Or how about turning your little girl into a sugary sweet watermelon this year?
All types of fruit are just perfect for a great group costume for the whole family . Craft a cute watermelon costume for your daughter, dress up as your favorite fruit and you’re sure to catch everyone’s eye!
Materials needed for the watermelon costume for kids:
- White fabric – you can use an old white bed sheet for this.
- Fabric paint or acrylic paint in pink and green
- Black felt or black highlighter pen
- Hot glue gun or double-sided tape
Simple step by step instructions:
- Cut out a large circle from the white fabric – the easiest way to do this is to fold the fabric in half, then in half again, and only then cut.
- Now, using the same method for the head, cut a small hole in the center of the circle.
- Now you just need to dye the fabric. To do this, first dissolve the fabric dye in warm water according to package instructions. Next, dip the white fabric and dye for about 1 hour – stirring from time to time.
- If you use acrylic paint, you must first dilute it with a little water and then apply it to the fabric with a fine brush. Be sure to spread the paint thinly and evenly.
- Allow the fabric to dry completely for at least 2-3 hours.
- Once the paint has dried, repeat the process with the green paint. However, now you still need to dye the bottom part of the costume.
- Cut out large seeds from the black felt and glue them on the dry fabric.
- Depending on your mood, you can spice up the watermelon costume a bit by attaching some pink and green pom poms to it.
More ideas and inspirations for your watermelon costume
The right accessories like a hair band or earrings will complete your look.
Easy and quick to make – the costume always makes for a fun appearance.