Burning fat while you sleep sounds like a dream, but it is possible if you follow a few simple tricks. When your body goes into REM sleep, it starts burning more calories. If you are already in a calorie deficit , you will burn fat. Getting more sleep at night is not the magic pill for weight loss, but lack of sleep has been shown to lead to increased appetite.
Table of Contents
- Fat burning while you sleep: how many calories you burn when you rest for 8 hours
- How can you boost your fat burning while you sleep?
- What should you eat before bed to lose fat?
Fat burning while you sleep: how many calories you burn when you rest for 8 hours
The amount of calories you burn while you sleep depends on your weight. In each hour of sleep, a person burns an average of about 1 calorie per 1 kg of body weight. This means that a person weighing 72 kilos burns 580 calories when sleeping for 8 hours.
Things to know: What is REM sleep
During sleep, the brain goes through four different phases, one of which is REM sleep. In this, the eyes move rapidly in different directions. Normally, a person enters the REM phase during the first 90 minutes. Since the sleep cycle repeats, deep sleep occurs several times. Most dreams occur during REM sleep. This is a phase that can play a role in learning, memory and mood.
How can you boost your fat burning while you sleep?
- Get enough sleep. The first step to optimizing fat burning during sleep is to get enough night’s rest. This is because sleep is necessary for the normal functioning of the body’s hormones and immune system. Accordingly, lack of sleep or “poor” sleep leads to weight gain. The average adult needs about seven and a half to nine hours of sleep.
- Lifting weights boosts your metabolism, which allows you to burn fat even when you are resting. Because it is an extremely intense exercise, our bodies need extra oxygen after the workout to recover from the energy loss. This effect lasts more than 24 hours after the workout and helps you burn calories.
- To burn fat while you sleep, sleep in a cooler, darker room. Research shows that when the thermostat is lowered to 18 degrees Celsius, 7% more calories are burned as the body burns fat to maintain its core temperature. Sleeping with the lights on, in turn, suppresses melatonin and affects circadian regulation of metabolism, leading to weight gain. So turn down the heat, turn off the TV, phone and bedside lamps, and consider buying blackout curtains to block out the light from outside.
- Don’t drink before bed. A cocktail or glass of wine in the evening sounds very relaxing, but even an alcoholic drink late at night can interfere with your body’s ability to burn calories. This is because instead of focusing on burning fat while you sleep, your body is busy breaking down the alcohol.
What should you eat before bed to lose fat?
Low-calorie foods high in fiber and protein, as well as certain beverages, are optimal for stimulating fat burning while you sleep. See which are the nighttime fat killers!
Cottage cheese is a fat-burning snack.
Research shows that eating cottage cheese before bed can help you lose weight. This is because cottage cheese has an extremely high protein content that is slowly released into the body, helping to restore and build muscle mass during sleep.
Cottage cheese contains only 2.7 grams of net carbohydrates per 100 grams, which makes it a great fat-burning snack that is also inexpensive to buy. Plain cottage cheese can taste pretty bland. To make it tastier, you can season it with salt, pepper and cucumber.
Avocados stimulate fat burning while you sleep
Avocados before bed can greatly aid weight loss. They are high in fat, low in carbohydrates and high in fiber, so you won’t wake up hungry.
If you don’t want to eat avocados plain, you can make them into a delicious guacamole or mix them with the food on the fat burning list above: Cottage cheese.
Eggs: fat killer in the evening
Eggs are essential for anyone who wants to lose weight. Not only are they low in calories (less than 80 calories per egg), but they also contain a lot of protein (about 6 grams of protein per whole egg) and the amino acid “leucine”.
Leucine is an important amino acid that helps the body increase muscle mass and boost metabolic rate.
Lentils boost fat burning overnight
Cooked lentils are a fantastic source of fiber (1/2 cup of green lentils contains 9 grams of fiber), which means they keep you fuller longer. They also contain a lot of protein, which makes them a good meat and poultry substitute for vegetarians.
According to an 18-month study, volunteers who consumed more legumes burned more belly fat than those who rarely ate them.
Slim while sleeping with blueberries
A 100-gram serving of blueberries contains only 57 calories and 2.4 grams of fiber, making them an excellent low-calorie snack. In studies with lab rats, it was found that blueberries helped them lose belly fat and lower their cholesterol levels.
Drink cinnamon tea to lose weight while you sleep
As we already know, cinnamon offers a lot of health benefits. It is a staple in Indian households and is known for its metabolism-boosting properties. Moreover, it has various antioxidant and antibiotic properties, which makes it the perfect detox drink. It not only helps burn more fat, but also provides better sleep.
Burn fat while you sleep with turmeric milk.
Last but not least, turmeric milk, which is generally taken for colds, coughs and other ailments. But the spice can also help burn fat while you sleep and improve digestion. This is because turmeric is rich in antioxidants , which help flush harmful toxins from the body. Milk (especially soy milk) contains calcium and proteins that provide a good night’s sleep.