Even though you would prefer to eat a whole fruit, drinking juice does have some benefits. There is one type of juice in particular that has such a wide variety of benefits that it gives as one of the healthiest juices that you should drink every day. Here we are talking about sour cherry juice. What health benefits it has to offer, and you can make it yourself at home, find out in this article.
Table of Contents
Is sour cherry juice healthy?
There is a clear and unambiguous answer to this question: YES! Juice from sour cherries is considered to be extremely healthy and you can drink it every day. The vitamins and other valuable substances contained in it have a good effect on health and can help with various problems. Besides, the sour taste will keep you from drinking too much.
But beware. If you buy juice from the supermarket, be sure to avoid pseudo-juice drinks. These contain added sugar in large quantities and are anything but healthy. Look for the label direct juice or even better – make the juice yourself. Three methods can be found below.
The health benefits of cherry juice
Cherry juice (especially sour cherry juice) is surprisingly beneficial to your health in more ways than one. When you drink homemade or organic sour cherry juice, you can reap several benefits:
- Sour cherry juice is a good source of several vitamins and minerals, including potassium, which helps regulate blood pressure.
- It is highly effective in relieving and even eliminating pain from gout and arthritis.
- Cherry juice has anti-inflammatory properties.
- It is packed with antioxidants (due to anthocyanins) that boost the immune system and prevent cancer.
- Drinking tart cherry juice can boost metabolism and promote fat burning.
- The healthy drink helps in post-workout recovery and against muscle damage.
- Sour cherry juice can help you fall asleep and promote healthy sleep, with similar effects to melatonin /valerian.
Make sour cherry juice yourself: the 3 best methods at a glance.
Make your own cherry juice with a juicer
All you need is the fresh fruit and a juicer, and after just a few minutes you will have a delicious and healthy freshly squeezed cherry juice. Here’s how:
- First, wash the cherries and remove the pits (as they can damage your device).
- Then, just put the cherries in the juicer and let the device do all the work.
Note: The raw juice does not have a long shelf life and must be consumed within a day.
Freshly squeezed sour cherry juice without a juicer.
You can either do this by hand with a cheesecloth, or faster and easier with a potato masher.
- Rinse and pit the cherries.
- Then place in a large bowl or shallow dish and mash the cherries with a potato masher or similar tool to release the juice.
- Place the cherry puree in a fine mesh strainer or nut milk bag over a large bowl and squeeze the pulp to collect as much juice as possible.
Make your own sour cherry concentrate
This method of making cherry juice uses heat and produces a tart cherry juice concentrate. However, this causes much of the vitamins and minerals to be lost.
- Wash the cherries first and remove the stems. It is not necessary to pit the fruit.
- Put the fruit in a saucepan with water (2 cups of water per 500 grams of cherries), bring to a boil and simmer over low heat for 20 minutes. Stir occasionally during this process.
- Drain through a fine-mesh strainer, pressing on the fruit with a spoon to release as much juice as possible.
- Then return the liquid to the pot and add sugar to taste. Simmer until the sugar has dissolved, then remove from heat and pour into clean glass bottles.