Skip to content

Lose weight according to the 20/80 principle: How you can remain durably in top form by “kind-fair nutrition

When it comes to trying to lose weight according to the 20/80 principle, there are some simple rules to follow in everyday life. According to nutritionists, you can add to your daily menu the so-called species-specific diet to become slim and fit. However, this is more about a lifestyle than a strict diet plan . Here are some of the most useful and important facts that could help you get started.

Things to know about losing weight according to the 20/80 principle

create a plan with healthy foods for the purpose of weekend diet

This type of dietary change proposes eating nutritious foods 80% of the time and relaxing during the remaining 20%. The idea is based on the Pareto principle, an economic rule that states that 80% of the consequences (or results) come from 20% of the causes (or inputs). As mentioned earlier, such a diet is not a strict diet plan, but a way of thinking that is open to individual interpretation. The rule approaches healthy eating with a message of moderation. The 80 percent is for healthy choices, while leaving 20 percent flexibility for less healthy options. Nutrition experts support this approach because it is doable for all, allows for a variety of foods and avoids deprivation. How it’s done and how it affects your weight, however, may be different for everyone.

What you can eat after the rule

shopping bag of colorful and nutritious vegetables as diet plan

Technically, to lose weight on the 80/20 principle, you can eat anything you want as long as you stick to the premise of eating healthy foods at 80% of your meals and snacks. Accordingly, to get the full benefit of this diet, make sure your 80% includes a variety of nutrient-dense foods. Focus primarily on whole foods, including whole grains . These foods are generally considered healthy. This can help you create a list of healthy meals.

eat healthy foods and protein sources in the right portion size

The basic principle is to make half of your plate fruits and vegetables and change them frequently. The rest of your plate should consist of whole grains and lean protein with a portion of low-fat dairy products such as milk or yogurt. Also, when doing this, try to limit saturated fat and added sugars. Add fresh, canned or frozen vegetables, or eat them as a side dish and even as a main course. Look for different colored foods that contain adequate nutrients accordingly. You can steam, sauté, roast or grill them to change the flavor and find what you like best. Just watch out for the extra calories and salt in oils and sauces. Most adults should consume about 2 ½ to 3 cups per day.

Eat the appropriate foods in moderation

prepare salad with croutons and unsaturated fats


Whole grains provide carbohydrates for energy, along with fiber, vitamins, minerals and some protein. For example, brown rice, 100% whole grain bread and pasta, oatmeal, and quinoa are all suitable. However, try to limit snacks, cakes and cookies made from refined grains like white flour. These can spike your blood sugar. Adults should eat about 85 grams of grains per day. This accounts for about 3 slices of bread or 1 ½ cups of rice.

fruit cut into pieces as part of a healthy diet to lose weight

Fruits and vegetables are also whole foods and therefore rich in important nutrients. In addition, such foods are a good source of soluble fiber and are naturally low in calories. Appropriate examples include leafy greens, potatoes, zucchini, carrots, broccoli, mushrooms, melons, berries, citrus fruits, apples or peaches.

combination of protein-rich and fiber-rich foods on the plate


In addition, build your daily meals around lean protein sources. Do your best to avoid trans fats. To do so, choose lean meats, low-fat dairy, legumes, fish and seafood, or soy protein. As for saturated fats, you could consume foods with higher fat content for 20% of your calories. However, it is still important to control your portion size. Go with fat-free milk, yogurt, soy milk and nut milk to reduce saturated fat. If you have dairy fat, keep it to a minimum with low-fat versions of sour cream and cheese. Most adults should aim for about 3 cups of dairy a day. Beef, chicken and pork are fine, especially if they are low in fat, but it’s better for your health to mix it up a bit. Fish, beans, peas, nuts, seeds, soy and eggs add a variety of flavors to your palate and nutrients to your body.

Prepare for the diet to lose weight according to the 20/80 principle

daily amount of fruits and vegetables to be adhered to in a weight loss diet plan

To stick to the rules described above, focus on nutritious whole foods during the week and indulge in something to your liking on the weekend. Some people may choose to eat a bit of indulgent food or some other combination each day. This dietary change allows you to enjoy indulgences on a regular basis without feeling like you are “cheating” on your diet. This can be a balanced approach to a healthy diet and lifestyle for many people. However, if you are following this eating pattern to lose weight, you should also remember to enjoy even your 20% in moderation. After all, if you overdo it, you can quickly gain the weight back. Even overindulging in healthy food can lead to weight gain.

indulge in a glass of wine at dinner during the week

So after eating healthy for most of the week, it’s time to treat yourself. For example, you can enjoy onion rings for lunch, a glass of wine with dinner, or ice cream for dessert. However, if you find that you’re not getting satisfactory results when you lose weight on the 20/80 principle, consider making personalized adjustments. Adjustments may include extra exercise, counting calories to ensure a deficit, watching your portions more closely, or switching to a 90/10 diet plan instead. If you are trying to lose weight, you may want to get a little more specific and spend 20% of the recommended number of daily calories. For example, should your goal be 1,800 calories a day, you may have 360 calories more two days a week.

Advantages and disadvantages of the 80:20 rule

life attitude to lose weight according to the 20_80 principle

This way of eating has a lot to recommend it, including some advantages. The 80/20 diet is not a restrictive plan that involves feasting or starvation. All of your meals and indulgences are included. The only thing that changes is the relative proportions. There is also no need to use food intake apps or food diaries to track your eating habits or count calories when doing this.

beautiful blonde treats herself to a sweet while losing weight according to the 20_80 principle

Moreover, when losing weight according to the 20/80 principle, no food is off limits yet. You can enjoy anything you like, just not all the time. Moreover, since you are eating nutritious foods 80% of the time, you will also learn to use healthy cooking methods or such shopping strategies. Anyone can try this diet, as no foods are required or completely restricted. So if you want to eat gluten-free, vegan, or are diabetic, or allergic, this diet can work for you.

green apple to lose weight according to the 20_80 principle

However, there are a few downsides to this dietary change, although it is quite modifiable. You may need to evaluate your caloric intake and adjust your energy balance to lose weight. In addition, the rule may not have enough structure. However, this is not an excuse to overeat or overindulge. On your relaxed days, you should still exercise moderation. If you need stricter rules to stick to a diet plan, this type of diet may not be right for you.

The bottom line for losing weight according to the 20/80 principle

successful slimming after the 20_80 principle

The diet described above can be a good introduction to moderation as well as a balanced and nutritious dietary change. Learning to plan and accept indulgences without guilt can prevent a diet plan from being too strict. However, it may not be enough to bring about weight loss if that is your goal, as it does not necessarily lead to a calorie deficit. Some people enjoy a little freedom at the end of the week, while others would rather indulge in something delicious every day.

conversation with nutritionist when losing weight according to the 20/80 principle

It’s best to talk to your doctor or a nutritionist about your decision. Your age, gender, weight and activity level all play a role in such a dietary change. Another reason to talk to your doctor is that this diet is not for everyone. Certain diseases can get worse if you take in a lot of salt, fat, or sugar from time to time. For example, if you have diabetes, high sugar levels can damage your eyes, kidneys, nerves, or even your heart.