A tight butt, beautiful legs and a visible six-pack – who doesn’t want that? To achieve our fitness goals and get the body in top shape, we need to work out regularly – we all know that. Monday legs, Tuesday back chest, etc. – actually everyone who goes to the gym knows the end of the song. Training splits are undoubtedly super effective, but also quite time-consuming and often the motivation also falls by the wayside. Especially in the summer, we would hate to spend every evening in the gym. Luckily, we have to, because a quick full-body workout can be just as effective and challenging. Do you also want to work as many muscle groups as possible in the shortest amount of time? Then you’ve come to the right place! To help you spend more time with your loved ones, we’ve done some research for you and put together the best full-body exercises. Whether with or without weights for your home workout – there’s something for everyone!
Table of Contents
- What is a full body workout and what are the benefits?
- Who is a full body workout suitable for?
- The best full body exercises without weights
- The best full body exercises with weights
What is a full body workout and what are its benefits?
Although today we’re going to talk about the best full-body exercises, that’s actually only half the truth. Actually, there is no exercise that works absolutely all the muscles in our body at the same time. So, the goal of a full body workout is to work the basic muscles and all the major muscle groups like legs, back, shoulders, chest and butt. Most exercises combine strength and endurance training in one movement, which in turn boosts fat burning. One of the biggest advantages of full-body exercises is that the workout usually takes 30-45 minutes. Also, the weekly schedule is quite flexible in this case and if you don’t have time or air to exercise, then you can easily make up the session the next day.
Who is a full body workout suitable for?
Whether you’re brand new to the fitness world or have been working out for several years, absolutely anyone can incorporate full-body exercises into their fitness routine. Since beginners usually have very weak muscles, they would be best advised with a full body workout in the beginning. If you already have experience, then you can increase the difficulty level by adding weights and performing the exercises at a higher intensity.
The best full body exercises without weights
Do you want to tone your body and build muscles, but don’t feel like going to crowded gyms? Then you would be in the best place with the following full-body exercises without weights. A self-weight workout can be just as effective and strenuous, and it can also easily be done anywhere. After all, the more muscle groups are active, the more energy we expend. So, a full-body workout without weight is ideal for stimulating fat burning and muscle building at the same time. And here are the best full-body exercises without weights that you should include in your workout routine.
Squats with own weight
Squats are undoubtedly one of the best full-body exercises without weights and should be an integral part of any workout routine. Although the classic squat is considered more of a lower body exercise, it will work your lower back and abdominal muscles in addition to your legs and butt. To get the most out of your workout, proper technique is essential. To help you avoid making the most common squat mistakes, we’ll quickly explain how to perform the squat correctly.
- Stand with your feet hip-width apart and tighten your abs.
- Slowly lower the body down until a 90 degree angle is created and hold the position for a few seconds.
- Exhale and slowly press the upper body upward.
- To increase the difficulty level, do the exercise with a fitness band or increase the intensity.
Yes, yes – we know. Burpees are a real love-hate relationship and there is probably hardly anyone who likes to do burpees. However, we burn a lot of calories doing them and work all the major muscle groups at the same time. So it’s no wonder that burpees are also one of the best full-body exercises without weights. Here’s how to do burpees correctly:
- Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart.
- Squat low and position your hands on the floor in front of your feet.
- Jump backward with your feet at the same time and do a push-up.
- Then jump back forward into the squat with the feet and straighten up.
- Especially for newbies, this exercise can be pretty tough. Here’s a burpee variation for beginners: just skip the jump and the push-up and get into the classic plank position at the bottom instead.
Although jumping jacks are often ridiculed as an exercise by professionals, you’ll work up a good sweat doing them after just a few minutes. The intense jumps stimulate fat burning and the movement simultaneously trains legs, buttocks, thighs , arms and torso. And this is how you do Jumping Jacks correctly:
- Stand up straight and keep your feet right next to each other.
- Then hop quickly, spreading your legs to the sides as you raise your arms sideways to above your head.
- Hop back to the starting position and repeat the movement as intensely as possible several times.
- To increase the difficulty, combine the jumping jack with squats.
The best full-body exercises: Push-up and Plank
Super effective, versatile and very strenuous – of course, the push-up and the plank must not be missing from our list of the best full-body exercises without weights. In addition to the upper body, the abdominal muscles, legs and buttocks are also trained. For more variety in your workout and to increase the difficulty level, you can try different push-up and plank variations as you like.
The best full body exercises with weights
You regularly go to the gym or have set up your own home gym ? Then you should definitely add the following full body exercises with weights to your workout routine.
The deadlift is undoubtedly one of the best full-body exercises with weights and should be an integral part of any workout plan. You’ll work out all the major muscles in your lower back while also working your butt and thighs. The abdomen also remains tense during the execution and is trained along with it. To prevent possible injuries, proper deadlift execution is key. Here’s how to do it correctly:
- Position the barbell in front of you on the floor and directly over your midfoot.
- Stand shoulder-width apart and hold the barbell in an overhand grip just as shoulder-width apart.
- Then bend the upper body forward so that the shoulders are slightly in front of the bar.
- Bend the knees slightly and pull the shoulder blades down toward the back.
- Bring the barbell to hip height in a controlled manner and push the pelvis forward.
- Slowly lower the weight back to the floor with a straight back and repeat again.
- While performing, make sure to keep the back straight and the head in a natural extension of the spine.
Kettlebell Swings are also a great full-body exercise to work your abs, butt, thighs, back, shoulders and forearms simultaneously. And here’s a quick guide on how to do them correctly.
- Stand with your legs hip-width apart and hold the kettlebell with both hands in an overhand grip.
- Point the feet slightly outward.
- Lift kettlebell into the air with momentum while straightening knees and tightening butt.
- Then take a deep breath, push the butt back and bring the upper body back down to the front at the hips.
- When performing, make sure to keep the back straight and the power of the exercise comes only from the hips.
Full body exercises with weights: Lunges with shoulder press
Lunges with shoulder press are the perfect exercise to work out your upper and lower body at the same time and really work up a sweat! As a plus, it will also improve your balance and coordination. Here’s how to do it right:
- Stand up straight and hold the dumbbells at your shoulders.
- Take a big step forward and lower your body until your knee forms a 90-degree angle to the floor.
- Slowly bring your body up while pressing the dumbbells overhead.
- Repeat the movement with the other leg.